ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC34 N0xxx
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC34
Information Technology --
Document Description and Processing
|TITLE:||Liaison from ISO/ITSIG/XML-Project
Minutes of ISO/ITSIG/XML-Project Adhoc: XML Processing for ISO Documents
|SOURCE:||ISO/ITSIG(Information Technology Strategies Implementation Group)/XML-Project|
|DISTRIBUTION:||SC34 and Liaisons|
|REFER TO:||ISO/IEC TR 9573-11 2nd edition|
Liaison from ISO/ITSIG/XML-Project
Minutes of ISO/ITSIG/XML-Project
Adhoc: XML Processing for ISO Documents
Date/Time: 2003-04-30, 14:00 through 16:30
Location: ISO Central Office, Geneva
|Pasi Rinta-Filppula||ISO (Director Information Processing Services)|
|Joanna Goodwin||ISO (Assistant Director, Production Management Standards Department)|
|Alexander Samarin||ISO (IT Coordinator Electronic Publishing)|
|Y. Komachi||Panasonic Communications (Editor of TR 9573-11 2nd ed.)|
|Prof. N. Mitsuda||Wakayama University|
|Masayuki Naito||Japanese Standard Association|
1. Activity Reports of ISO ITSIG/XML Project and Overview of TR 9573-11 2nd edition (by Y. Komachi)
- Activities of the XML Project
- Structure of ISO/IEC 9573-11 2nd edition
- JTC1 Ballot for ISO/IEC 9573-11 2nd edition
- Standard DTD and Rendering
- Style Specifications
2. Demonstration of an Authoring Tool (an XML Editor installed with 9573-11 DTD and DSSSL Processor) (by T. Noguchi)
- Advantage of Using XML in ISO environment
- Operation of the Tool working on ISO documents
- Final Shape of ISO Template
- Perspective of ISO Document Management for
- XML experts
- Non-XML experts and
- ISO Central Office
3. Demonstration of other Tools (XML Editors and XSL Processors) (by Prof. Mitsuda)
- Editor developed by Wakayama Univ.
4. Discussions and Conclusion
Attendee concluded that:
(1) XML is desirable in ISO environment in addition to the existing formats of SGML, PDF, HTML and MS-Word.
(2) The DTD defined in TR 9573-11 2nd edition is an ISO approved DTD, and can be employed for authoring as well as interchange using the style specifications included in the 9573-11. The style specifications are based on ISO/IEC Directives.
However, J. Goodwin pointed out that the English version of the Directives had been prepared using the IEC template, and thus employs IEC style rules rather than those of ISO (the French version of the Directives was prepared using the ISO template). J. Goodwin pointed out that changes for conformity with ISO style will be necessary; she will communicate these to Y. Komachi; Y. Komachi agreed that this would be acceptable.
(3) XML tools with rendering functionality are available. Some tools could become ISO reference softwares. This issue will be discussed further at the next meeting.
(4) ISO CO wishes the satisfaction of the following requirements for tools;
- Conversion to XML from Word
- More user-friendly error messages which do not require a knowledge of the DTD for their interpretation; visual errors messages, e.g. by showing the error in a structure view using colour, have been found to be useful for non-expert users
- Support of table, image, math expression
- Import of HTML and legacy.
Book function was pointed out as a useful feature.
(5) The following promotions are expected;
- Presentation of TR 9573-11 2nd edition in the next ITSIG meeting
- Development of guideline for TR 9573-11 2nd edition
- Amd. of TR 9573-11 2nd edition inclusion further requirements
(6) The Next Meeting was proposed to be held in September 2003. It will be confirmed with ITSIG Secretariat.