ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34N0791rev
ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34
Information Technology --
Document Description and Processing Languages
|TITLE:||Summary of Voting on JTC 1/SC 34 N 771 - Text for CD Ballot - ISO/IEC CD 18048 - Information technology - Topic Maps - Query Language (TMQL)|
|PROJECT:||CD 18048: Information technology - Topic Maps - Query Language (TMQL)|
|PROJECT EDITOR:||Mr. Robert Barta; Mr. Lars Marius Garshol|
|STATUS:||Summary of voting|
|ACTION:||Based on the ballot responses, this CD is APPROVED and the project status changes to 30.60. Project Editors are requested to review comments and advise the Secretariat regarding (1) the change to status 30.92 or 30.99, and (2) the next project status and anticipated date that project status will change.|
|DISTRIBUTION:||SC34 and Liaisons|
|REFER TO:||N0771b - 2006-07-13 - Ballot due 2006-10-13 - ISO/IEC CD 18048 - Information technology - Topic Maps - Query Language (TMQL)
N0771 - 2006-07-13 - Text for CD Ballot - ISO/IEC CD 18048 - Information technology - Topic Maps - Query Language (TMQL)
Dr. James David Mason
(ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 34 Secretariat - Standards Council of Canada)
Crane Softwrights Ltd.
Kars, ON K0A-2E0 CANADA
Telephone: +1 613 489-0999
Facsimile: +1 613 489-0995
Network: [email protected]
|P-Member||APPROVAL OF THE DRAFT AS PRESENTED||APPROVAL OF THE DRAFT WITH COMMENTS AS GIVEN ON THE ATTACHED||DISAPPROVAL OF THE DRAFT FOR REASONS ON THE ATTACHED||DISAPPROVAL (appropriate changes in the text will change vote to APPROVAL)||ABSTENTION (For Reasons Below)||NO RESPONSE|
|Korea, Republic of||X|
The incomplete state of the document made it difficult to review the content. Canada's vote of support is cast with the understanding that future drafts submitted for formal review will include the sections marked "TBD" and that the identified issues shall be addressed during working group and editors' meetings.
The Topic Map Query Language (TMQL) is an extension of Structured Query Language (SQL) and Object Query Language (OQL), a query language allowing users to access data in Topic Maps Data Model. TMQL should focus on extending SQL regarding the select-expression language part.
It needs also to extend OQL regarding the tuple-expression language part and the tm-content language part and regarding additional programming support like path epressions. Finally TMQL should consider to follow existing XML query language regarding the xml-content query language part. It is important that the types of data access for Topic Maps, Information retrieval (IR) and information filtering can be supported by the wide number of applications following and extending existing standards such SQL, OQL, XQUERY...
TMQL is intended to be easier to learn by developers, most of whom are likely to already be familiar with SQL. So it would be better to extend TMQL following SQL which was created to be used on the data in a relational database.
Thus the current proposal needs to be updated and revisited accordingly. The major risk is that TMQL might become too complicated to be wildly used and accepted by a large number of applications..
In order to encourage the modification, Japan national body may dispatch a co-editor of this part.
- (1) Clause 3.1 Syntax Conventions
- The second paragraph in "3.1 Syntax Conventions" says; "The canonical level is defined using context-free grammars (EBNF,[XML 1.0])." And the production rules of TMQL uses the symbols '¨' and ':=='. But there are not '¨' and ':==' in EBNF[XML1.0].
- (2) Whole document
- The symbols which are used for the shorthand notations are not familiar in the world. They should be explained clearly. And the explanation of the shorthand notations should be enhanced.
- (1) Clause 2 Normative references
- Version of Unicode should be 5.0.
- (2) Clause 2. Normative references
- "IETF RFC 3987, Internationalized Resource Identifiers (IRIs), Internet Standards Track Specification, January 2005, available at <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3987.txt>" should be added.
- (3) Whole the document
- "URI" should be changed to "IRI".
- (4) Clause 2. Normative references
- "XTM 2.0" should be added.
- (5) Clause 4.2. Atoms
- The datatypes defined by [XML Schema-2] should be allowed.
- (6) Clause 4.3 Item References
- The term "subject address" should be defined.
- (7) Clause 5.4 Special Variables
- The term "meta map" should be defined.
- (8) Typo
- (8.1) Clause 3.1 Syntax Conventions, Clause 4.9 Value Expressions, and Clause Clause 6.6.4 Association Predicates
- "explicitely" should be "explicitly"
- (8.2) Clause 4.10.3 FORALL Clauses, in the example (2 places)
- "satisfy" should be "satisfies".
- (8.3) Clause 6.6.4 Association Predicates
- "directo" should be "direct".